Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Post Thanksgiving!

My dear post-Thanksgiving surviving family members,

Thanks for all the fun letters and photos of Thanksgiving! Seems like it was quite the riot with 38 people in our house! What a fun adventure. To be honest, we had completely forgotten that it was Thanksgiving day until about 6pm, and by then it was already too late to really get anything special together. Oh well. We'll just have to party even harder next year!

To answer some questions: No, Suellen still hasn't been confirmed. Meh. We were able to meet with her once, but since then she has managed to disappear. It's so disappointing. She explained that she doesn't feel any support from anyone in her family and that they just fight about it, so she prefers to just stop. But we know better, and we are trying to do everything to help her and her family feel the Lord's Spirit and have His strength to continue on despite adversity. We can trust in Him, He already overcame all trials (John 16:33).

Aside from difficulties in our sector, I had a rather spiritually uplifting week! Elder Spannaus of the Seventy came and we had a FANTASTIC conference with him and his wonderful wife. They are both from Argentina and are such spiritual giants aside from goofballs haha. I love that the majority of the leaders of the Church know how to be silly yet spiritual--just look at President Monson! Also, I met a missionary that has been in the mission for about a month. He called me over and told me he had to confess that he knew who I was before the mission because he had been reading my blog for the past two months. How random yet cool! I definitely didn't realize the extent of that blog! haha he told me that when he found out his mission, he googled it and my blog came up and he read it until he entered the MTC. It sure made my day that I was worth reading about haha.

Other exciting news: After the conference, President Martinez called me in for a special private interview. I figured it was to talk about how to help my struggling companion, but President simply told me how proud he is of me and how grateful he is for my hard work. He then told me that I will now be serving as Zone Leader of this same zone starting tomorrow. Ha. I feel so humbled, honored, excited, and grateful for this wonderful opportunity to serve others. I've been serving as district leader for the past 7 months, and it will be a fun/difficult/worth-it adventure to now serve as zone leader. We have 32 missionaries in our zone, so it will keep me pretty busy. I feel such a great confidence from the Lord as well as President Martinez since there are only 20 zone leaders in a mission of over 250 missionaries. Not to mention the ward I'll be serving in is where President Martinez served as bishop before being called to serve as mission president. Ha, no pressure... Haha but it will be a great transfer--I already love my new companion Elder Bills, whom I've been working with as a district leader for the past 4 months. He's a goof and a great missionary.

It's rough that I won't get to stay here and help Suellen get confirmed, yet I'll still be able to work rather closely with the missionaries here in Yumbel since I'm staying in our same zone. Wahoo! My new ward has several people waiting to be baptized, so I'm definitely dreaming of a white christmas despite the heat! I sure love you all. Thanks so much for all you do and for all of your prayers on my behalf. We need to start planning for Skype ASAP as well. We'll figure it out once I'm with Elder Bills in Los Angeles. Have a wonderful week! Don't forget to invite others to listen to the missionaries so that Vegas can have a white christmas as well! Love you!

Elder Long :)

No comments:

Post a Comment